Are you making the right password choices to keep your online information safe?
A study by the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) found that “123456” was the password of choice for far to many online users. Surprisingly in these modern times; “PASSWORD” is also a favourite. Further results from the NCSC show that 42% of British online users expect to have money stolen online and only 15% of those surveyed felt they knew how to protect themselves online.
The NCSC website holds a wealth of information about staying safe online and protecting your information:
- Use a strong unique password for separate accounts, having the same password for all accounts is considered high risk.
- Make sure software and app updates are done regularly as they often have fixes or developments to protect against cyber risks.
- Where possible use two-factor authentication on accounts.
- Use a free password manager to create and remember passwords. There are many available online such as www.roboform.com
- Take advantage of lock screens and password log ins, giving an extra layer of security.
- Back up EVERYTHING. Important information or personal information should always be backed up to an external hardrive or cloud-based storage system.
For more information on Cyber Security and protecting your information, visit www.ncsc.gov.uk or get in touch with us today.